Thursday 31 March 2011

Remember Me - Allen Coulter

In the romantic drama "Remember Me," Robert Pattinson plays Tyler, a rebellious young man in New York who has a strained relationship with his father (Pierce Brosnan) ever since tragedy separated their family. Tyler didn't think anyone could possibly understand what he was going through until the day he met Ally (Emilie de Ravin) through an unusual twist of fate. Love was the last thing on his mind, but as her spirit unexpectedly heals and inspires him, he begins to fall for her. Through their love, he begins to find happiness and meaning in his life. Soon, hidden secrets are revealed, tragedy lingers in the air, as the circumstances that brought them together threaten to tear them apart.

This film surprised me.  I make a conscious effort not to know too much about a film before I watched it, and this one was one of those films which wasn't quite what i expected. Its got a very raw edge to it (not completely soppy love story) which gave it a very realistic feel to it. It was almost less Hollywood and more real life.

As  the story progressed, I almost wasn't sure if i even liked the film this much, until the twist at the end. The twist took me by surprise (and if you don't know it, don't try to find it out, its really good.) To me the twist made the film, it gave it its purpose and made it all come together so nicely and neatly that it made the film.  By that I mean I wasn't sure about the film and after watching the ending I really liked this film. It was almost refreshing to see (although it follows a similar basic plot line to other stories, it seemed unique in its own way.)

Im not a big fan of Robert Pattinson (I think Twilight spoilt it for me) but he really pulls off an edgy character very well. He's a little bit awkward and unsure which made him perfect for the role. Ally (Emilie de Ravin) who we know best as Clare from lost, was great to see, not differing to much from her character in Lost (a bit of a loose end in this as well) but i really loved her character of Clare and wanted to see more of this personality she can do so well. Another character who I loved in this film was the girl who played Tyler's Sister, Caroline, (Ruby Jerins), she was a very typical realistic seven year old who always speaks her mind and i thought she was such a lovely character. Overall i thought this was a fantastic film, its not a soppy romace (which I dont always enjoy), it had a raw realistic edge to this. Well casted, well thought out, and a fantastic storyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment